Justice League Cast

Justice League Cast

Search This Blog

Mar 31, 2014

Love Interests In Superhero Films

While I think it’s clear I enjoy the occasional SHM (Superhero Movie), there is one aspect that usually takes me out of the experience of the film… The love interest. The standard for nearly most movies, in general, revolve around some sort of love interest right? So why are SHM’s, most of the time, lacking in that department? Well I have a few reasons to why.


The Standard

So for example, I consider Man of Steel to be in my top 3 all-time greatest SHM’s. However, I feel the scene near the end when Supe’s kisses Louis to be the most awkward part of the film. And it’s not just that scene of that film, its essential all (most) SHM’s in general. And I have narrowed it down to 3, count ‘em, 3 good (enough) reason’s to why this is.

1) The Force Theory

Every SHM has the hero right? The big, strong, chizzled all around good guy that is always there to save the day. But the hero always needs something to fight for. Enter the lover. This is the big reason why I fell this counter balanced doesn’t always work out for a SHM. The people behind the story always seem to forcefully add this character, because it seems to be “the standard”. And while there are some exceptions, such as Pepper Pots in the Iron Man series, I feel it wouldn’t be the end of the world if the studios would lay off a little on this love triangle.

2) The Opposite Sex Hypothesis

In today’s big budgeted SHM’s, I think it’s safe to say that the main character is dominated by the “hero”, usually a man. And it seems the people behind the project try to make the secondary main character a woman, usually resulting in the “love interest”. Now, I don’t want to sound condescending. I have NO problem with woman in SHM’s (Just read some of my Wonder Woman articles), but I do feel they make that particular role more important to the story then necessary.

3)  The Coincidence Premise

This kind of ties with the other two, but I feel it’s just as valid none the less. For example, one of the main problems I had with Thor: The Dark World was the character of Jane Foster. I have no qualm with her character (I give Thor a 9/10 and a big reason is Jane), but she finds this Either in the most remote location, and becomes the bridge from the villain (A mystical Elf creature) to the hero (A God of Thunder)… Really?

Mixing It Up

So, with all that out of the way, I have a couple propositions on how to fix these problems.

1) Just write the story. Don’t worry about how much screen time falls toward the relationship. Just write the best story you can. Now, I’m not saying get rid of that aspect of the story as a whole, just don’t force it with ridiculous coincidences.

2) Change the relationship dynamic. When the FINALLY get Wonder Woman on the big screen, I feel that could be a very cool change up from the standard. She is a strong, proud woman, who doesn’t need to be taken care of by a man. So the affection of her interest counterpart will be a nice break in the system.

Or make an openly gay superhero. I personally would love to see Flash (John Krasinski) being portrayed as an openly gay man. Sorry Iris, but it’s not a “Key Essential Element” (Campea) of the character. And it’s not like the costume all of the sudden is bedazzled, its just a new way to mix it up.


Well there you go, some of my reasons and ideas on the matter that in reality doesn’t really matter. But let me know what you think; How do you fell about SHM’s love interests relationships? How would you change it up? Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment