Justice League Cast

Justice League Cast

Search This Blog

Jan 28, 2014

Todays Wonder Woman

I love the Wonder Woman character. And if you don't know much about the awesome Amazonian, check out the WB animated film Wonder Woman. It's a good watch. So the main point of this post is to discuss the do's and do not's of presenting the Warrior Princess in todays big screen adaptation. Lets begin.

ORIGIN

So in the mythos, she is born from clay...Really? I made a snowman out of sand on a beach once, doesn't mean it works for the greatest super heroine of all time. I say change it up. For example, her mother and Aries (God of War) had a son (Spoilers: her mother kills her own son), so why not have WW be the spawn of the two? Not only would this add some "realism" to the story, but also add some internal conflict with the character as well.

POWERS

So the Amazonian race has gifts, which come from the power of the Gods. Zeus, Haities, ect. However, if WB doesn't want to get into the whol Gods and Goddesses thing, you could make her Kryptonian. Many have stated this theory. We know in Man of Steel, the opened pod in the Fortress of Solitude was a tip of the hat for Kara Zor-EL, Supes cousin. Many have speculated that she found a way to fertelize, thus being the origin of the Amazons. Why it's a little sketchy, I'm cool with it. However, I don't beleive WB and DC will mess with her origin that much. Any way they choose to deal with it, her and her sisters still have their powers. Strength, speed, flight, ect. wich is all fine with me.

CHANGES

The main thing they HAVE to change in order for this "realistic" WW to work in modern day film are those goofy little tides. For example the outfit/costume. I understand she wears the colors and stars and the eagle and everything to help her "blend" to our society, but come on! It works for the comics and cartoons, but NOT for the cinematic approcah they have taken. I get she's a princess, but she is also the islands greatest warrior. Don't take away from that. And for Zues' sake, give her pants! I don't buy a savior/superhero/God, who saves the day wearing a bikini.

The other, and this is perhaps the biggest, change they NEED to make is making WW more vulnerable. As it stands her main weaknesses are: She is useless when she is bound by a man... No you read that right. She could kill Lex Luthor with a sneeze, but if he should happen to tie her up with a rope from Sears, she is done. This is just sexest, out of date, and just plain ignorant. Her other main vulnerablility are peircing weapons. So let me get this straight, if I were to stab her in the eye with a butter knife, it renders useless, but if I give it a sharpening, it will take out her retna? Need I say more? WB and team have to introduce a new, "believeable" threat. Maybe certain frequencies take her out of the game? What ever it is, make it "realistic" Of course if they do go with the Amazon's being decendents of Kara, then Kryptonite (Airisole or what have you) is a potential threat.

And my final pet-peeve...the Laso and Invisable Jet. Lets start with the Jet. SHE CAN FLY! Why would she ever need a jet? The only reason would be to transport those who can't fly. And Batman has his Batwing. So we're good. And the Laso of Truth. Having a laso I buy. A sword and laso, I'm on board. But a "magical" rope that forces people to admit their deepest and darkest seacrets?...STUPID! I'm not affraid to say it.

CASTING

I'll end with this. We all know actress Gal Gadot has been cast as the role for MOS 2, and other future projects. To the negativety, I say this...Relax. None of us have seen her screen test. Was she my first choice? No. But neither was Ben Affleck, or for most people Heath Leadger. So let's not be so quick to judge, when we literaly know nothing. I stand behind WB and Gal Gadot. I belive she will kick ass, take names, and look good doing it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment